First published in March 1998, the book was the third volume in a series of reference books; each volume had summaries and production information for the episodes of each season, up to and including Season 7, with the exception of the first volume, The Truth Is Out There: The Official Guide to The X-Files, which pertained to both Seasons 1 and 2.
This third volume was written by Andy Meisler and researched by Sarah Stegall. It not only includes a summary and production information for each of the episodes in the fourth season, but also for "Redux" and "Redux II" - the two-parter that started Season 5. The same information about these two episodes would later be reprinted in the fourth volume of the book series, Resist or Serve: The Official Guide to The X-Files, volume 4.
From the book jacket
- One of the most popular and critically acclaimed TV shows in recent years, The X-Files, created by Chris Carter and starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, continues to break new ground in dramatic series television. I Want to Believe is the authoritative, fact-packed episode guide to the fourth season of this Emmy award-winning series no X-phile can be without. Inside fans will find:
- Greatly expanded, richly detailed synopses for each episode – including plot twists, dialogue, and action sequences
- Exclusive interviews with Chris Carter, Gillian Anderson, and David Duchovny – plus dozens of writers, producers, guest stars, and crew members
- Complete cast and credit lists
- Air dates and Nielsen ratings for each episode
- Supporting cast additions, deletions, and departures
- An international X-Files viewing guide
- The most up-to-date information on The X-Files' intricate, fascinating "Mythology"
- Plus hundreds of behind-the-scenes insights into the series' creative process, popularity, growth, and its influence on popular culture around the world
- A four-color foldout poster detailing The X-Files mythology as revealed over the past four seasons
- Excerpts of copyrighted sources are included for review purposes only, without any intention of infringement.
| Previous guide:|
Trust No One: The Official Guide to The X-Files
|Reference works|| Next guide:|
Resist or Serve: The Official Guide to The X Files